Monday 27 October 2014

IS PARENTAL NUDITY OK? WHEN SHOULD YOU STOP BEING NAKED AROUND YOUR LITTLE ONE?

I have recently stopped taking a bath with my 5 year old son because he's at that "pointing and laughing" stage, which some people believe it's when you should stop being naked around them. But also because people would raise their eyebrows whenever I'd mention that I bath with him. I never though it to be wrong or that it would 'scar him for life', as people say. 

I then came across a documentary on the LifeTime channel of a family of nudists who believe nudity is freedom and it teaches young girls to be comfortable in their bodies no matter how they look, it breeds a society of girls who are not ashamed of their bodies and sexuality. I'm not a nudist and I think a family walking around the house naked is inappropriate and taking it to the extreme. But I do agree with them to some point, that it does teach girls to be comfortable in their skin, when you're comfortable in your skin you become a confident woman and I think the greatest lesson you can ever give to your daughter is confidence.
 
For boys I think its also good, because you would rather your son see you as his first naked woman, as opposed to some air-brushed supermodel in a Playboy magazine a friend of his brought to school. He will grow up understanding that women's bodies are not perfect, which will make him respectful towards women in general. 

Milka. K from Circle of Moms says exposure to adult nudity at a young age might cause kids to become sexually curious before they're ready. It may trigger them to explore and that may be the beginning of early sexuality. 
I disagree with Milka because I think kids engage in sexual activity at a young age because they are curious, and those who are exposed to parental nudity become less curious, making it less likely for them to engage in sexual activity before the right maturity level. I do also think though that when they start asking questions about private parts they may be ready to stop seeing mommy naked!

No comments:

Post a Comment